Beta-Boy

This blog WAS about my experiences with the new Microsoft Vista OS. I went back to Windows XP, so I'm no longer updating it. However, I decided to leave it on-line, at least until Vista is officially released. There may be a few tips here that will help other beta users.

Saturday, June 24, 2006

WMP11 and Firefox

Well, I had some problems getting Windows Media content to stream in Firefox. All I got was a white screen where the video should be. After hunting through some forums, I found out that there are two things you have to do. I decided to notate them here, so other people won't have to do like I did, and spend an hour searching for the information.

  1. Copy three .dll files into the Firefox plugins folder. By default, this folder is C:/Program Files/Mozilla Firefox/plugins. The three files can be found here.
  2. Second install the Active-X plug-in for Firefox. Not all sites that stream Windows Media require this plug-in, so it may not be necessary, depending on what you're trying to play. The Active-X plug-in can be found here. (Note: You must install the plug-in for the version of Firefox that you're using. Firefox 1.5.0.4 users can use the plug-in for Firefox 1.5. That one worked for me).
Once I did these two things (and restarted my browser), I was able to stream Windows Media. Hope it works for you too!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home